July 8, 2014
ERP Solutions Achieve Order Control and Operations Efficiency
Posted by Steve Chapman
Receiving a new customer order is just the beginning of the accounting and operations process for a new customer sale. After the order comes in, the primary concern for operations is that it gets completed and shipped as successfully as possible. The accounting concern is that all business records and processes related to the order, shipment and payment get completed accurately and in a timely manner. We believe solid ERP solutions can improve customer order processing by providing the following benefits:
- Order items can be allocated from current inventory levels to determine availability and assure fulfillment, and inventory shortages can be anticipated and corrected quickly.
- Orders can be accurately priced based on company policy, and applicable sales promotions can be properly identified and applied, to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Promised ship dates can be monitored on a continual basis to ensure that customers’ expectations for prompt delivery are satisfied.
- Operations personnel can view the status of all orders at any time, to help plan for optimal staffing, coordinate with outside shippers and contract processors, and anticipate possible problems.
- Automatic alerts can be generated to focus attention on areas that need it.
- You have assurance that governmental tax and operations compliance is being properly executed.
- Drop shipments can be accurately accounted for to eliminate losses due to un-invoiced shipments.
- Customer down payments and outstanding invoices are accurately tracked in a timely manner to ensure payment.
- 9.All transactions are accurately updated in a timely manner to ensure accurate inventory and financial records.
- Tools allow for easy communication with customers (e.g. order/invoice emailing, instant messaging), and easy access to customer contact information.
ERP solutions are essential for properly controlling customers’ orders and thereby making your life less hectic and allowing more time to grow the business.
Learn more about various ERP solutions that could benefit your team and steer the focus toward more strategic initiatives.
Steve has over 15 years of experience in business systems consulting, and 20 years of experience in management accounting and finance with small and mid-sized businesses in the construction, distribution, service, and technology industries.